I have been endorsed by Diane Ravitch’s national public education advocacy organization, the Network for Public Education.
“Help elect Sue Peters to Seattle School Board, a champion of public education.” — Diane Ravitch
Or send a check to: SUE PETERS FOR SEATTLE SCHOOL BOARD, 2212 Queen Anne Avenue North, #611, Seattle, WA 98109
- Sue Peters is the only candidate with nearly 10 years of extensive experience with Seattle Public Schools (SPS), and has firsthand knowledge of the district’s communities, challenges, successes and goals.
- Sue is the only candidate with current experience in elementary, middle, and high school, in SPS.
- She is a proven local and national leader in education advocacy, as a founding member of Parents Across America, the Seattle Math Coalition, and the Seattle Education blog.
- Sue is the only candidate who has served on two Seattle School District task forces: the Superintendent Search Community Focus Group (2012), and the Strategic Plan Stakeholder Task Force (2013).
- Sue has analyzed and written about public education policy and practices for the past 5 years, as a journalist with a Master’s degree from Stanford.
- As a parent advocate, Sue has spoken up about important issues like school closures, the need for strong curricula, student safety and privacy, the problems with the MAP test, and has spoken alongside education historian Dr. Diane Ravitch about the importance of including the voice of parents in public education.
- Sue supports an education system that embraces & celebrates the individuality and diversity of our children.
- Sue supports a greater investment in teaching and learning, and less testing.
- Sue is endorsed by a broad progressive coalition that includes: The Stranger, Democratic and labor organizations, such as the 11th, 32nd, 34th, 36th, 37th, and 43rdDistrict Democrats, the King County and the Metropolitan Democrats, the National Women’s Political Caucus of Washington, M. L. King Jr. County Labor Council, International Union of Operating Engineers, Local 609, The Teamsters Joint Council No. 28; State Senators Maralyn Chase & Bob Hasegawa, State Representatives Gerry Pollet & Joe Fitzgibbon, King County Councilmember Larry Gossett, four of her seven future colleagues on the school board, education leaders like Cliff Mass, parents & teachers district-wide.
- Sue has a longtime proven commitment to keeping public education public, and she will represent YOU!
- *BONUS REASON!* Sue is the only candidate not funded by corporate supporters of charter schools nor backed by a Political Action Committee that has spent $32,500 on negative and dishonest campaigning. (http://www.pdc.wa.gov/MvcQuerySystem/CommitteeData/expenditures?param=R1JFQVNTIDExMQ%3D%3D%3D%3D&year=2013&type=single)
VOTE FOR SUE!
What colleagues, neighbors, parents & teachers say about Sue Peters
“Having worked across the table with Sue in the district Strategic Planning Task Force work these past months, I want to support her offer to run for the school board. She’s got the right sort of insight and savvy to represent parents and students in addressing the decisions faced by our Seattle Public Schools.” – Craig Seasholes, Librarian, Sanislo Elementary School, and 2013 Strategic Plan Stakeholder Task Force Member
“When election time comes this fall, vote for Seattle School Board candidates that support good math. Sue Peters, is a strong advocate of strong math textbooks for our city’s kids. I know she would make an excellent school board member.” – Cliff Mass, UW Professor of Atmospheric Sciences, KPLU weather commentator, and math advocate
“I look forward to Sue applying her considerable intellect, integrity, thoughtfulness, and compassion to the Seattle School Board. I can’t think, in all sincerity, of another person I would rather have representing the interests of Seattle’s students in that capacity. Go, Sue!” – Tim Richards, parent
Sue Peters for Seattle School Board, District 4
2212 Queen Anne Avenue North, #611, Seattle, WA 98109